Click here to purchase tickets.
Presenting more than 70 original, iconic costumes from the first seven Star Wars™ films, Star Wars and the Power of Costume uncovers the challenges, the intricate processes and the remarkable artistry of George Lucas, the concept artists and costume designers. The costumes reflect an eclectic mix of cultural, historical and mythical sources that add rich texture to the story. Through nine presentational “chapters,” guests explore the creative process from Lucas’s vision through concept drawings by artists such as Ralph McQuarrie and Iain McCaig, to the final costume designs of John Mollo and Trisha Biggar, among others.
Featured costumes include:
- Monk-like robes of Jedi masters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker
- Intimidating suit and complex breathing apparatus of Darth Vader
- Military-influenced uniforms of the Imperial Stormtrooper, Senate Guard and TIE Fighter Pilot
- Yak hair and mohair costume of Chewbacca
- Intergalactic outfits of Senators Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and Mas Amedda
- Fierce armor of mercenary bounty hunters Jango Fett, Boba Fett and Zam Wesell
- Elaborately detailed gowns of Queen Amidala, Queen Jamillia and their handmaidens
Pulled from the collection of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, Star Wars and the Power of Costume is a partnership of the museum, the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES) and Lucasfilm, Ltd.